Resources for Students and Families

School Health Services

The CPA health office is staffed full-time by School Nurse Julie Lopez. The Health Office phone number is 651-280-4532.

School Health Screenings

Health Screenings are conducted at school according to guidelines set by the Minnesota Department of Health. Screenings are held for vision, hearing, color vision, and scoliosis. You will be notified if your child needs to have further evaluation following one of these screenings.

Other Health Concerns

If your child has a health condition that may impact his/her school day or learning, please discuss this with the School Nurse so appropriate support plans can be made.

Students who have restrictions from physical education must obtain a doctor’s note indicating specifically what the limitations include and the lengths of time restrictions are needed. This note is to be presented to the physical education teacher, who, in consultation with the school nurse will develop a program to fit the student’s restrictions.

When is my child too sick to go to school?

  • If a child has had a fever greater than 100 degrees or higher, they should stay home for 24 hours after the temperature has returned to normal (and stayed normal without fever-reducing medication).
  • If a child has a rash that is disease-related or if the cause of the rash is unknown, check with your clinic before sending the child to school. Many rashes are very contagious.
  • If your child has vomited, they should stay home until 24 hours after the vomiting has stopped.
  • If your child is too ill to go out to recess (with certain exceptions) they are too ill to come to school. Check with the School Nurse regarding exceptions.

Additional information about CPA’s School Health Services can be found in the CPA Family Handbook.

Health Care Resources for Families

CPA  provides information to students and families on the availability of health care coverage through the Minnesota health care programs and how to obtain an application for the Minnesota health care programs.

Families can also obtain more information about how to access Minnesota health care programs on the Portico Health Net website.

Legal Assistance Resources

This list provides information about legal assistance, advocacy services, and lawyer referral services. This list is not exhaustive. The Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) and its employees cannot provide recommendations on which resource, if any, you should choose. This list is made available to parents in accordance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and the Pupil Fair Dismissal Act (PFDA). 

School Social Work Services

School Social Workers are available to provide school social work and counseling for all Community of Peace Academy students. Students may meet with the social worker individually or in groups. If you have questions about CPA’s school social work services, reach out to a member of CPA's Social Work Team or to Elementary Principal Molly Huml at 651-280-4579, Middle School Principal Joe Doll at 651-280-4601 or High School Principal Jason Carver at 651-280-4630.