Distance Learning Plan – Special Education
Describe how the school will ensure supports identified on a student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan are provided.
- Community of Peace Academy will use SeeSaw and Google Classroom to deliver specialized instruction from licensed special education teachers and related service providers.
- Paper/pencil instruction is available for delivery. Instructional videos, online and electronic assignments, live video and telephone instruction, paraprofessional support, and weekly parent phone calls will support the provision of special education services.
- General education teachers will support the provision of accommodations and modifications through assistive technology, modified work, and other means as appropriate per student’s individualized accommodations.
Outline the school’s process for communicating with parents and guardians regarding their child’s services, which should include discussion regarding amending IEPs to address how best to meet the student’s needs in a flexible learning model. This includes direct specialized instruction, related services, and accommodations
- Community of Peace Academy has scheduled IEP amendment conversations with parents during the week of March 23, 2020, and will continue to schedule virtual meetings, when appropriate, to amend IEPs. IEP meetings will take place via Google Hangout Meetings.
- All requirements and practices surrounding IEP meetings will remain the same as they were before e-Learning, with the exception of virtual participation. This includes the requirement for all required IEP team members to be in attendance, the requirement to send a notice of a team meeting, and the requirement to review all aspects of the IEP.
- If you have any concerns regarding the provision of special education services to your child during a distance learning program please contact Cindy Stark Sped Coordinator at 651-2804602 or email@example.com or Colleen Schatz, Director of Special Education at 612-310-5389 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Describe the school’s protocol to communicate with administration and staff to prepare and support them in meeting the needs of students eligible for special education, child find activities, evaluations/reevaluations, and IEP implementation.
- The child find process at Community of Peace will remain the same. The Student Support Team will continue to meet as scheduled. Teachers can bring student concerns to the team. Evidence based interventions will be implemented for a period of 4-6 weeks. In the event students do not respond to interventions a referral to the special education team will begin.
- Communication to all staff regarding the child find process will be sent on April 6, 2020. to remind them of the procedures in this unique circumstance.
- Evaluation activities with face-to-face components will be delayed until schools re-open. This includes any direct assessment and student observations. Evaluation activities aside from direct assessment and observation, including interviews, indirect assessment (protocol completion), and report writing will continue.
- Special Education Teachers will be co-teachers in all google classrooms. General Education and Special Education teachers will interact virtually through individual contact and regularly scheduled grade level meetings.