Student Services

Special Education

Working in collaboration with resident school districts and other agencies or districts, Community of Peace Academy provides or arranges for comprehensive special education services for all eligible students. It is the responsibility and the goal of Community of Peace Academy to ensure appropriate placement and services in order that each child’s special needs are met.

Community of Peace Academy has adopted a Five-Phase, School-Wide Support Model that consists of (1) early identification, (2) intervention planning and implementation, (3) referral for special education consideration, (4) special education evaluation, and (5) eligibility determination.

A team of special education professionals provides special education and related services to eligible students at Community of Peace Academy. In order to meet the needs of students who require more involved and intensive services, Community of Peace Academy partners with resident school districts, other agencies or districts, and the family to identify appropriate programs and place students into them.

If you have questions about special education programming at Community of Peace Academy, please contact Bryan Farkas, Special Education Coordinator at 651-280-4602, or bryan.farkas@cpapk12.org.

Useful Documents

CPA Total Special Education Manual

CPA Restrictive Procedures Plan

English Language Development (ELD)

How is my child identified as needing ELD service?

When any child registers at Community of Peace Academy, parents complete a Minnesota Language Survey, which is required by Minnesota law. The Minnesota Language Survey determines if a student has significant exposure to or use of a language other than English. If any question on the survey can be answered with a language other than English, the student’s English language skills will be measured by a test administered by an EL licensed teacher.

Depending on the age of the student, the English test may include listening, speaking, reading and/or writing. The test result(s) determine if the student is eligible for ELD service. If the student is eligible to receive ELD service, parents are notified by letter within 30 days. Although we strongly support ELD service for all eligible students, under Minnesota law parents have the right to refuse ELD service for their child.


What kind of ELD service might my child receive?

ELD service is designed to ensure that:

  • Students learn in a setting supportive of their native language and culture.
  • Students are supported to reach high academic standards in English and the content areas.
  • Students have access to the entire school curriculum.
  • Families can participate fully in the education of their children.
  • Students learn to speak, read and write English well.

Your child’s ELD service will vary according to his or her placement level. Students requiring more service may work with a licensed ELD teacher outside the classroom in a small group or individually on specific language and academic lessons. The ELD teacher may also work with your child in the classroom so that s/he has the English language skills needed to access the content. Students requiring less support may receive indirect service. The ELD teacher and the classroom teacher will talk regularly about how to ensure that your child can participate fully in classroom instruction and activities.


What are the English tests my child might be taking?

WIDA Screener

WIDA Screener is an English language proficiency “screener” test given to new students whose MN Language Survey states a language other than English. It is used to determine if new students are eligible for English language services, and it assists educators with programmatic placement decisions.


ACCESS for ELLs is an English language proficiency assessment given to students in Kindergarten through 12th grade who have been identified as English Learners (ELs). It is given annually, and results are used to monitor individual student progress in English language proficiency over time. The ACCESS meets the accountability requirements of the Every Student Succeeds Act.


How will I find out about the English progress of my child?

Parents will be informed by letter within 30 days following their school start date if their child is eligible for English language services. At the fall and spring parent-teacher conferences, parents may schedule a time to speak with the EL teacher to discuss their child’s English progress. The standardized test results will show the level of English language proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing. At conference time the EL teacher will help parents understand how these reflect their child’s progress. Lastly, anytime throughout the school year parents may speak with their child’s EL teacher in regards to the English language development of their child.


When will my child no longer require English language development services?

CPA follows the Minnesota Department of Education guidelines for exiting EL students. To exit service, a student must score a composite score greater than or equal to 4.5 on ACCESS, AND have three or more ACCESS domains greater than or equal to 3.5. If a student meets the requirements to exit services, but has one score below 3.5, additional EL Exit Criteria will be used to determine if the student should continue to receive ELD instruction in an LIEP, per Minnesota Standardized English Learner Procedures – Exit.


If you have any questions about ELD services, please contact ELD Coordinator Megan Olsen at 651-280-4561, or megano@cpapk12.org.

Useful Documents

CPA’s English Learner Program